Welcome to Expacked (Issue #69)
I picked up a story from ReadWriteWeb that I found really interesting – ‘As kids’ media use increases, will ed-tech investment follow?’. According to a recent US study, 8 to 18 year olds are spending seven hours and 38 minutes a day on media use. I am sure that Korean students spend just as much time with technology, so the question that I am interested in is this: How long will it take for the education industry to catch up and learn how to better engage with students using this medium?
I could talk all day on the pros and cons of using technology to help reach and educate today’s youth. But there is one simple fact I found out this year – once you put a large touch-board screen in a classroom full of students, everybody wants to interact with it.
It would be great to hear your thoughts on this!
Usain Bolt to Race in Korea
For those who follow athletics, or are keen for seeing something a bit different, Usain Bolt (the world’s fastest man) will be running the 100m race at the upcoming Daegu Pre-Championship Meeting on May 19th. For the full story on The Chosun Ilbo.
These are the teaching stories making the news this week:
- ETIS Press Release: SMOE 6 Months Extension
- ATEK Presson Release: Kangnam Legal Assurance Program
- 2 Billion Won Spent so far on ‘Hag-parazzi System’
- Many Teens Risk Health for Slim Figure
- If ATEK Falls in the Forest, Does it Make a Sound? Musings on Why ATEK isn’t Communicating with the Expat Community . . .
- Homeschooled Kids get Best of Both Worlds
- Teachers’ Union Wins One Court Battle, Loses One
- Stricter Rules for SATs to Be Applied from May
- Jokes: (1) Theater (2) The Value of a Drink
Feel free to comment on any of the stories and share the any of the interesting ones with friends. Enjoy the read and, of course, have a good laugh at this week’s jokes.
If you haven’t already, you can always subscribe directly to receive the full weekly newsletter through email or RSS feed. Click on one of the options below to subscribe:
|Email Subscribe||RSS Subscribe|