Press Release: Visa Extension Information for Renewing NSETs
Editors Note: This Press Release came from ETIS’s (SMOE) website, http://etis.sen.go.kr/
For the NSET program participants who are renewing their contract with the Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education for the upcoming school year, you must renew your work visa (E-2) with the Korean Immigration Authority to maintain a legal working status in Korea. The following is information on how to renew your visa.
1. Application Period
Application can be submitted up to two (2) months prior to the end of the contract term(visa expiration date).
2. Where to Apply:
You must visit one of the following immigration branch offices in person to apply.
- Seoul Immigration Office: Mokdong Main Office Administration Office on the first floor (Tel: 2650-6225). Address: 319-2 Shinjung 6-dong, Yangcheon -gu, Seoul (the office is located in the vicinity of the Yangcheon District Office)
- Sejongro Branch Office *Apply only at this office if you are from the following districts; Dobong-gu, Dongdaemun-gu, Eunpyeong-gu, Gangbuk-gu, Jongro-gu, Jung-gu, Jungnang-gu, Nowon-gu, Seongbuk-gu,
- Address: Yoon-hyun-goong SK Hub Building, Second Floor 89-4 Gyeongwoon-dong, Jongro-gu, Seoul (the office is located next to the Jongro Police Station)
- Direction: take the subway line 3 (orange line) to Anguk Station, the SK Hub building is directly connected with the subway exit #6.
3. Required Documents:
- Visa Extension Application : You can download the form at the website:http://etis.sen.go.kr
- Passport and Alien Registration Card
- Original copy of the new contract (one copy)
- School Certificate (provided by school)
- Processing fee of 30,000 Korean Won
- Medical Report : One copy of the medical report including HIV and Drug test results should be submitted to SMOE. The report should be done by general hospital and SMOE recommends you the following public hospitals.
- (The Immigration Office requires native English teachers who are employed by schools to submit the medical report for visa extension. When your employer is the chief superintendent of SMOE, you are exempted, but still required to submit the medical report to the SMOE headquater.)
- Seoul Medical Center(서울의료원) – Subway Line #2 Samsung Station Exit #7, 8 3 minute walk – Tel) 3430-0257
- Dongbu Hospital(서울특별시립 동부병원) – Subway Line # 1 Jegidong Station, Exit #6 5 minute walk Yongdoo Elemetary school bound – Subway Line #2 Sangwangshipri Station Exit #2 , bus #147(blue) stop : Dongbu hospital – Tel)920-9114
4. How to obtain the required documents:
In your district office of education you must obtain two (2) original copies of the renewal contract (one copy for your keeping) and pick up a copy of school certificate from the school of your employment.
(The Sponsorship letter from SMOE used to be necessary but the original stamped contract from SMOE can be used in lieu of the Sponsorship letter.)
5. Online Reservation System:
To avoid long wait at the immigration office, use the online reservation service offered on the immigration authority website. You must first register online to use this system. Print out the reservation time verification form, and show up at the office about 10 minutes prior to your appointed time. If you arrive later than your appointed time, your appointment will be nullified and you must wait in line.
If you need further information about the immigration and visa extension matters, as well as to use the online reservation service, please refer to the following official websites:
(Source: ETIS – English Teachers in Seoul)